Check Request/ePayment

The University of Chicago has several payment options that do not require the issuance of a Purchase Order. The most common methods of requesting a payment are:

Check Requests to Suppliers/Independent Contractors

A check request is used for purchases of limited goods or services, which are not required to be processed on a Purchase Order. However, a single invoice greater than $5,000 requires a separate check request.

Petty Cash Reimbursements

Petty cash is a small amount of discretionary funds in the form of cash used for expenditures where it is not sensible to make the disbursement by check or GEMS.

Travel Reimbursements

Travel reimbursements are defined as payments to individuals for reimbursement of expenses incurred while traveling on University related business.

Travel Advances

A travel advance is defined as funds paid to an individual or entity for anticipated cash expenditures to be incurred on behalf of the University.

Manual Checks

An expedited disbursement or a check $250,000 or greater. A nominal fee may apply.

Electronic Funds Transfers

An expedited disbursement via electronic transfer.

University Check Cancellations

Financial Services is responsible for the replacement of lost, misplaced, or destroyed University checks that are less than one year old. Stop payments, check cancellations, and reissuances may be requested by completing a Departmental Check Cancellation Form. For more information, please refer to the Instructions for Completing Check Cancellation Request Form.

Lost, misplaced, or destroyed University checks that are greater than one year old are considered unclaimed property and are managed by Financial Services.

For additional information, see University Policy 2703, Reissuance of Forged, Lost, Misplaced or Destroyed Checks.