Traveler's Tips - International
Resources and guidelines from the Provost's Office for international trip organizers and undergraduate participants. Resources for travel outside the USA below:
• Tax Recovery on International Travel Expenses. In countries that assess local but recoverable taxes such as the Value Added Tax (VAT) in Europe and the Goods and Services Tax (GST) in Canada, it is imperative that you obtain and submit detailed original receipts in order for the tax to be reclaimed for the University.
• Passport Photos (available from the Chicago Card office)
• University of Chicago Hospitals Travel Clinic offers expert care both before and after your trip. Services range from immunizations, consultations, and preventative medicine to post-travel care in the event of an illness.
• Center for Disease Control Travel Information
• Travel Warnings and Consular Information Sheets
Visa and SSN /ITIN Requirements for Forign Vistors
The University can pay a foreign visitor's travel expenses and other fees as long as the visitor holds the correct visa for the particular type of payment to be issued. In addition, the visitor must have a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for non-travel payments such as employment, a one-time lecture fee, or an honorarium.