Salary Expense Transfers

Transfer Between University Payroll Accounts

PETS - The Payroll Expense Transfer System allows a user to initiate and submit payroll expense transfers using a web-based interface. Submission of transfers through PETS eliminates the need to complete a paper form (UPP 103) while maintaining the appropriate approval process.

Manual Transfers - If PETS is not an option Payroll will processed manual transfers. Departments should complete the UPP103 Form "Payroll Expense Transfer Form. Only one employee may be listed per form. Attach the corresponding Expense Detail Report (PEXP 092) for the pay period. Each pay period to be transferred should be listed separately. Only salary expense information should be detailed; the appropriate benefit charges will be automatically calculated and transferred by the system. All transfers charging Ledger 5 and 6 accounts must be forwarded to Sponsored Award Accounting (Financial Services, 6054 S. Drexel 3rd Floor). All other transfers should be sent directly to Payroll Services.

Transfer Between University and Medical Center (Ledger 3) Accounts

Payroll salary expense transfers between University and the Medical Center accounts must be processed using the Journal Voucher Form (Financial Services Form #60). The appropriate staff benefit charge must be manually calculated and entered on the Journal Voucher by the department.

Journal Voucher forms should not to be used when an employee transfers employment between the University of Chicago and the Medical Center. According to HR Policy 209, all vacation and personal holiday accrual balances are to be paid out to the employee (i.e. accruals will not be transferred).