The University of Chicago

Financial Services


Employee Payments

Required Documents for Payment to Foreign Employees

Current Employee changing to Permanent Resident

Permanent Resident Applicant


All Other Visa Statuses

Payments to Foreign Individuals

Taxes for Foreign Employees

Please click here for Taxes for Foreign Employees

W4 Withholding

Residents for Tax

Nonresidents for Tax

 Foreign Nationals Working Overseas

Resident for Tax Working Overseas

Employee has been in the US long enough under a visa status that allowed this person to become a Resident Alien for Tax Purposes (RA). As a RA, this person is not exempt from taxes because s/he is working outside of the US. RAs are taxed on their worldwide income.

Nonresident for Tax Working Overseas

This person has never been to the US (other than tourist or short business activities) and is considered a Nonresident Alien for Tax Purposes (NRA).