The University of Chicago

Financial Services


News and Announcements

2016 W-2s are now available!

2016 W-2 Forms are now available for viewing and downloading in Workday. To access 2016 W-2 forms:

1.)    Log on to Workday using your CNET ID and password
2.)    Click on the PAY worklet
3.)    Click on “My Tax Documents”
4.)    Click on “View/Print”
5.)    Please note that it can take 1-2 minutes for the document to download

Terminated employees have access to view/print 2016 W-2 forms directly from Workday until April 30, 2017. If the former employee cannot log into Workday, he/she can contact to request a re-print/duplicate copy. Please have them include the following information:

 Please direct any questions to

2017 W-8BEN

Beginning January 1, 2017, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) now requires foreign individuals to provide a foreign taxpayer ID or a date of birth for reporting purposes. This information will be captured on IRS form W-8BEN. The foreign national is required to provide this information regardless of having a U.S. based taxpayer ID (SSN or ITIN). W-8BEN forms that are received by Payroll Services that do not include this information will be rejected. For payments that have already been made in 2017, or payments that are in progress in ePayment, Payroll Services will work with departments to get the required information – these payments will not be rejected for missing foreign taxpayer ID or Date of Birth information.

Please use the W-8BEN (dated 2017) moving forward.  

Requirements for Entities (non-individual, IRS Form W-8BEN-E) and US Citizens/Permanent Residents (W-9) will not change.

 Who should complete a W-8BEN form?

 Claiming Tax Treaty Benefits

Tax treaty benefits are honored based on the availability of a valid tax treaty between the U.S. and the country of tax residence of the individual/entity and the facts surrounding the individual/entity’s visa status, purpose and payment type/amount.

Who can claim a tax treaty on Form W-8BEN?

To claim a tax treaty on Form W-8BEN for scholarship/fellowship income, recipients must have a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) and fully complete lines 9 & 10 on Form W-8BEN.

To claim a tax treaty on Form W-8BEN for royalty income, recipients must have one of the following: Social Security Number (SSN), Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) or a Foreign Tax Identification Number (Foreign TIN).  

Individuals providing service, receiving an honorarium or receiving a prize/award must claim a tax treaty on Form 8233. Individuals receiving an award/prize are not eligible for a tax treaty.

Payroll Services cannot advise individuals or entities on how to complete the new W-8BEN forms. Please provide instructions for forms W-8BEN and W-8BEN-E when requesting these documents if further clarification is needed.

Please contact Liz Fox at or Toni Swida at with any questions.


Effective May 2015, Financial Services has consolidated the Consultant and Independent Contractor Questionnaire and the Debarred Form into a single page document.  This change will reduce the number of forms required to successfully submit a payment request.

The vendor set-up process requires a governmental verification to confirm vendors are not debarred or excluded from participation in federal assistance programs on  It was determined the requirement for the vendor to complete the debarred form acknowledging this process was not necessary and created redundant effort for the vendor and the University.  Question #7 has been added to the Independent Contractor Questionnaire form acknowledging that a debarred verification will take place.  The rest of the information on the form remains the same. 

The new form can be found here.

Please contact Emily Stephenson at or 2.1953 with any questions.

W-8BEN and W-8BEN-E

Beginning January 1, 2015, the University will be revising the processing of the W-8BEN forms due to the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA). Form W-8BEN-S and W-8BEN-I will no longer be used. Moving forward, payments made to individuals receiving scholarship/fellowship or independent contractor payments will complete the W-8BEN form, which has been modified for The University of Chicago purposes. Entities (non-individual) will now complete form W-8BEN-E. Click here for more information.

Payroll Emergency/Hand-Typed Check Fee Increase

Effective May 1, 2014, Financial Services increased the fee for Accounts Payable emergency checks from $100 to $250. Likewise, in an effort to limit the usage of this option in Payroll Services, we will also increase the hand-typed check fee to $250. The overpayment recovery fee and check cancellation fees will also increase from $50 to $150. All increases will be effective as of July 1, 2014. As many of you are aware, the current fees to process an Hand-Typed Checks and Overpayment Recovery/Check cancellation have been in place for many years.  When the fees were originally put in place they were meant to serve as deterrents so that only true emergencies were requested.  Early on, the $100 and $50 fees significantly reduced the amount of emergency requests.  Unfortunately, in recent years the fees no longer seem to be enough of a deterrent and emergency requests have increased significantly....many of which appear to be non-critical.  Please note: All hand-typed check requests should go to Peggy Scott-Haynes at and must include an account to charge the fee.

Adhering to the following advice can reduce processing time for Payroll payments and avoid the need for emergency requests: