Airline Ticket – Domestic and International
Note: Even if you are not required to present a receipt, you must detail each item of expense on the Travel Expense Voucher, Travel Expense Envelope, or blank sheet of paper.
What is the allowable level of expense?
- Lowest available non-refundable economy.
- Airfare costs in excess of the lowest available non-refundable economy discount airfare or First or Business Class are allowable only when approved in advance by the respective Dean, Vice President or the Provost.
- International travel funded by federal funds must comply with the Fly America Act (See 41 CFR 10.131-10.143) which generally requires use of a U.S. Flag carrier.
How do I make my travel arrangements?
- U of C Preferred Travel Agencies
How do I pay for the travel expense?
- Corporate credit card, personal credit card, or cash
What level of audit will my Account Reviewer provide?
- The expense does not exceed budget limitations
- The expense is appropriate for the account
- Documentation and expense amount complies with University policy and each unit’s specific restrictions
- Advance approval documentation must be provided for ALL First or Business Class travel. For expenses to be accounted for as an allowable expense, the approval documentation must state that a lower airfare would have:
- Required circuitous routing
- Required travel during unreasonable hours
- Excessively prolonged travel
- Greatly increased flight duration
- Increased costs that would have offset transportation savings, or Inadequately addressed the medical needs of the traveler.
- Costs not documented as allowable must be charged to sub account 9912 and MAY NOT be charged to federal awards.
- Compliance with Fly America Act for international travel on federal awards.
What documentation do I need to be reimbursed?
Passenger receipt if flight expense is $75 or more.
First or Business Class travel requires documented pre-approval following the hierarchy demonstrated below:
- President must be approved by the Chairman of the Board of Trustees.
- Provost must be approved by the President or Chief Financial Officer.
- Chief Financial Officer must be approved by the President.
- Deans must be approved by the Provost.
- Officers must be approved by either the Chief Financial Officer, Provost or President.
- First or Business Class travel for all other staff or faculty requires documented approval in advance by their respective Dean, Vice President, or the Provost.