The University of Chicago

Financial Services


Purchasing Restrictions

Following are important purchasing restrictions. Select a restriction to learn more information:

HIPAA - Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act


Radioactive Material

Procurement of Radioactive material should be requested through the Office of Radiation Safety. Further instructions regarding the ordering process are outlined in Radioactive Material Ordering.


Purchase of these items should be coordinated with the University of Chicago Medical Center Pharmacy. (Select "Pharmacy" from the Patient and Visitor Guide.)

Controlled Substances for Research Use

Anyone engaging in research with controlled substances in Illinois must be licensed by the Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation (IDFPR). Different activities involving controlled substances require different registrations. Information on controlled substance use registration can be found at: After receiving an IDFPR license, the individual must register with the Federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). The required forms and detailed instructions are available on the DEA website:

Individuals may only order/purchase controlled substances within a given class specified on their registration. To place an order with a Supplier, the department shall create a non-catalog order in the University’s BuySite system. The DEA license number and an electronic copy of the registration must be included in the external notes and attachments field of the requisition. Once the controlled substance has been received, the department shall be solely responsible for recordkeeping, inventorying, security, authorizing of other users, disposal, theft or loss, and abandonment in accordance with all applicable state and federal regulations.


Rental Cars

Purchase of rental cars must follow the Travel Policy 1202.

Electrical Appliances/Equipment

According to the Municipal Code of Chicago, all electrical equipment must be tested and listed by an approved testing agency. Visit the Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories (NRTL) site for a list.

Invasive Work on University Property

All repairs, renovations and constructions orders must be directed to Facilities Services Procurement.

Trade Services Work

Contact Facilities Services prior to any action.

Information Technology

Contact IT Procurement (now a part of Purchasing and Payment Services) prior to any action taken.


Cylinder Gas Purchase or Rental

Contact Physical Sciences Division (PSD) Receiving Dock for the purchase and rental of cylinder gases.

Disposal of Hazardous Waste

Ethyl Alcohol (Ethanol)

Contact BSD, Facilities, Design and Construction – Maria Najera-Zmija at ext. 2-5456