Transfer of Equipment

Transfer of Equipment (No Ownership Change)

There may be instances where a researcher/principal investigator (PI) temporarily loans equipment to another colleague, student or non-University researcher. These are considered equipment loans and should not exceed a loan period of two years. To ensure the department, division (for external loans), Sponsored Award Accounting (for external loans purchased with federal funds) and CAA are aware of this arrangement, the Equipment Loan Form should be completed and returned to

Internal Transfer of Equipment (Ownership Change)

There may be instances where one department either transfers or sells equipment to another department. In these instances, the department that is transferring the equipment should notify CAA (via of the following:

  • Asset tag number on the equipment
  • PI name associated to the equipment
  • The contact name and department receiving the equipment (it is recommended that this person is copied on the email to CAA)
  • The current asset location (building, floor, room number)
  • Sale price of the equipment, if applicable
  • FAS account number the asset was originally purchased on

CAA will use the information supplied by the transferring department to confirm the existing asset information in University property records. CAA will request the above information with the receiving department, as well as the transfer date, in order to appropriately update University property records. 

External Transfer of Equipment (Ownership Change)

When a PI leaves the University, they may request to take some or all of their associated equipment. In these instances, the PI must work with the department and division to identify all pieces of equipment they would like to transfer. As these transfers result in the equipment leaving the University, these should follow the equipment disposal process. For additional information, please click here.